Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Final Countdown

I am getting really excited for the race, there is so little time left!                                                                                               

I know I shouldn't start celebrating yet because I haven't quite 'made it' yet, but I really just feel like I've come a very long way. I have been trying to taper off since my last long run (9.5K). What that means is that I've only been running like 6 kilometers each time I go out, a breeze. Hold it - if I told myself 3 months ago that running 6 kilometers was going to be a breeze for me in such a short time I would have just laughed out loud.

Lately I've been running with my friend H. Though she used to run track in school, she has become a bit out of shape in the past few years from busyness and lack of enough exercise (her observation, not mine). I took her out for the first time last week on the same course that Nate and I have been circling the past few months. I have to say, she did pretty well compared to how I managed my first time out. I've learned to base success on how far in the trail the initial stretch of running lasts before the person needs to break for a walk. My first attempt, I didn't make it more than half a kilometer, so H's approximately 1.5 was well-worth applause. I, on the other hand, wasn't even running at my highest speed potential when we started walking.

I felt sort of bad, like it was discouraging to her that I was able to run faster and further than she was. Personally, it isn't very motivating when I see people passing me. I made sure to assure her how much better she had done than when I had started and will continue to do if she just keeps up the running. It's weird how I've become this running  motivator, attempting to launch others into a world I've until now been too lazy be a part of. Keep it up H!

I also want to comment on how I feel. I will elaborate in a future post, but it's really incredible how different I feel physically and mentally since I've started running. I would have been the first person to roll my eyes, and scoff at those 'diet and exercise bla bla bla', but seriously, take it from me, it's really freakin true!

So as the race day approaches I also want to thank everyone who has helped sponsor our run in donating to Ohr Simcha. Together with donations on the site and cash/checks we're collected over $1,100 - almost 85% of our goal. It's not too late, just click the chip in button to the right of this post or click here.

For your enjoyment:

No comments:

Post a Comment