Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hakafat HaTavor

I have to make this quick because I'm at work... I have decided that in order to kick this running experiment into high gear I need a really worth-while goal. It's great to lose weight, get in shape and to do something for myself - but there's nothing like making a commitment to somebody else to get yourself going (at least for me).

I've decided to take a leap and sign up for an 11 kilometer race in the North of Israel which circles the Tavor Mountain. The race is called Hakafat HaTavor and it takes place on May 11th. I have 6 weeks to get myself to 11 kilometers. It's not going to be easy, but I have some good motivation. I am going to run this race as a sponsorship for a worthy cause, Yeshivat Ohr Simcha. Yeshivat Ohr Simcha in Kfar Chabad is a wonderful organization housing hundreds of boys between the ages of 6 and 14 who have been orphaned, abandoned or abused.

At Ohr Simcha, they are housed, clothed and educated and their physical and psychological needs are taken care of regularly by doctors and professionals. I have been there and met a number of the children who live and learn there. I was very inspired by the people who work there, whether it be the teachers or mentors, or the young married couples who live in an apartment within the complex and act as foster parents to 11 boys (in addition to the 2 biological children they are raising). In all, they're doing a great job, but they need all of the support they can get.

Click the button below to join the cause and 'Chip In' to help sponsor my run.
 

And most of all, WISH ME LUCK! Because I have a HECK of a lot of work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment